On Saturday (the 14th) we had an enormous working bee. So much work got done with the help of some good music, good mates and excellent food.
Around fifty volunteers of all ages and all walks of life showed up. People came from all over Addington and beyond. Quartly and Andy got busy with constructing an awning for our break area and our new nursery. Another crew finished painting the house.
We’ve been really lucky to have the help of a team of volunteers from Arizona, who have put a huge amount of time into a beautiful new coat of paint for the 31 Parlane St house among other things, we were sad to see them go 😥
There was plenty of weeding to be done and lots of plants to clear, we were amazed to see how much space was hidden away once we’d finished. We also finally got around to cutting our fence in half, so we can see the street properly and the street can see us!
More and more we are seeing the power of growing and working to bring people together, it was awesome to see how many people showed up and were keen to get stuck in, lot’s of people we met lived just around the corner, or even right over our back fence.
We just want to say a big thanks to everyone who came along, you made all the difference!
So this weekend gone a bit has changed around the farm! We had an impromptu working bee on Saturday morning and it’s amazing what you can get done in an hour.
Lloyd, our resident handyman, got a few of the boys onto some big jobs moving wood, plastic, and dirt, while the rest of us got stuck into weeding the beds and the surrounding area! The results are fantastic…
We got a great turnout on such short notice and everyone had a good time tucking into some home baking, tea, and coffee afterwards. Hopefully the kale and beetroots we have planted will welcome the weeding and there’ll be some to distribute in the coming weeks.
In the future we will have more of these days booked in, so stay tuned to our facebook page if you’d like to know about ways you can get involved.
Until next time…
Hey everyone, Liam again!
Today I’m just doing a wee update on a bit of what we’ve been up to over the last week or so.
On Monday night a couple of us from the farmhouse and community planted out some beet and kale seedlings into the new garden beds. If you are following us on instagram you can see me tenderly planting some kale into our nicely prepped soil:
Apart from that, we have some more action going on in the nursery which I promised to show last blog post…
Our wee nursery is just a greenhouse frame with some horticultural film and shade cloth strapped over it until we finish our permanent nursery out back. At the moment we have a whole lot of freshly sown spring onions, purple broccoli, beets, and kale. We also have some basil which has been grown from seed which is going really well, potentially for use in pasta sauce (look out for that). Some of these seedlings or their produce might be up for grabs in the coming weeks so stay tuned!
That’s all from me at the moment… there’s plenty more happening but I wouldn’t want to ruin all the surprises before people can come and check it out in person!
Catch you next time
Hey there, my name is Liam and I am the manager on the ground here at The Addington Farm!
Today, me and my right hand man Dave dug two new garden beds. A bit of elbow grease, compost, and TLC left us with some nice looking beds ready for planting out the beets and kale I have growing in our mini nursery (stay tuned for more on that!)
Here’s Dave before raking the bed nice and smooth:
As you may have seen we have been doing a lot of site prep, but we hope to get some veges in the garden next week, and more veges in the nursery when it has been completed!
Stay tuned for more updates. Next time I may do a wee site tour including our fledgling microgreens and seedlings!
Until next time…
Over the weekend we achieved our first big milestone: absolutely wrecking the garden! Sometimes in order to make an omelette you’ve got to crack a few eggs, so we got cracking.
Lloyd, our resident master of all trades, began by felling a huge willow on the back of the property, letting that morning sun come streaming in. Next on the list was a fence to come down. Finally our two sections have become one, and although it’s a bit of a mess at the moment, we’re starting to see just how much space we have to work with.
We’re all very excited for the year ahead, and the prospect of freshly grown veges for our neighbourhood!